Isn't she the cutest? The correct answer is "yes," because she looks like me.
Having a little sister is a challenge, especially when there is a six year age gap. You aren't close enough in age to have that "best friends" relationship right away, and you're not so far apart that you think of the little one as a dress up doll. It's just plain awkward. So in honor of my little sister (her name is Sommer by the way, yes, with an O) I thought I would share some of the joys and pitfalls of sisterhood.
Pitfalls:1. Sharing clothes. My little sister is pretty tall for her age, and I'm average height. She's been able to wear my clothes since she was 10, much to my dismay. I don't share clothes well. Especially when people just take them without asking
2. Getting in trouble. So because of the age difference, my sister has always been able to get me in trouble. She would take my things or stain my clothes, and naturally I would yell at her. She would then go crying to my mom that I was being mean, and guess who got in trouble? Yup, the one with the stained white cardigan.
3. Tagging along. My mom used to always try to get me to bring my little sister when I was doing something with friends. It would have been fine if we were closer in age... but when you're a freshman in high school and you have to bring your elementary school aged sister with you to the mall...well, not cool mom. Not cool.
1. Sharing clothes. While this may suck in the younger years, I'm starting to like it now. Now that I'm moved out and my sister doesn't have constant access to my closet, it's easier to keep track of "borrowed" clothing. Plus, I can fit into her stuff!
2. We can relate. Now that she's older, my sister is going through some things I remember going through at her age. She's also developing interests similar to my own, and it's common ground for us. It's nice!
3. Built in everything. Having a sister is great. I have a built in photographer, shopping buddy, shoulder to cry on, and friend. I love all of my friends, but a friendship with a sister is just a little bit different. Plus if we fight, I know she will still be there
because she has to be.
Can you relate? It's amazing how a matter of one or two years can completely change the type of relationship you have with you siblings. Hope you enjoyed!