My unimpressed PMS face
Let's cut to the chase.
Pissy Mood Syndrome PMS sucks, and can put a damper on your day. I'm not talking about cramps or bloating, I'm talking about the random rage that bubbles up for no reason. It's super annoying, no one appreciates it, and it's a total waste of a day. So to avoid all of that, here are 5 ways to deal with PMS:
- Take a shower- Just do it. If you're feeling like having a pity party, the best time to do it is in the shower. You can cry it out between shampooing and conditioning, and hopefully you will be done with it by the time rinsing comes along. If not, then suck it up buttercup, because ain't no one got time for that. Really though, don't wallow all day. Get it over with in the morning, and get on with your day.
- Yell- Sometimes it just feels nice to yell and/or scream. I'm serious. Have you done that lately? Just go sit in your car, or wherever you won't be bothering people, and just yell. You can even throw a hissy fit about nothing if you want. I guarantee you will feel at least a little better. Something about getting out that random frustration just really helps. And it will probably make you feel stupid and giggle.
- Change your mindset- This is one of those "duh" ones, but it can be so hard to do! One way that works for me, is to watch a scary movie. I am such a wimp and I've grown to hate scary movies, but it totally changes my mind set. I go from angry at nothing, to scared of everything fairly quickly, and it's like the PMS just disappears. Oh and do not, I repeat do not watch The Notebook. Or The Vow. Or Pretty Woman. Or The Titanic. Please.
- Smile- Something pretty cool I learned in one of my psych classes this year, is that bodily states are tied to emotion. Basically, if your face is in a "sad" bodily state (frown or scowl), your brain will cause the emotion of sadness to be more active. If your face is in a happy bodily state (smile...duh) then the emotion of happiness will be more active. This is all part of embodied cognition which I'm not going to get in to, but just trust me on this one and smile.
- Do something- Redecorate your room, organize your closet, go for a hike, read a book, just do something. Whether you want to or not. You will be focused on whatever you are doing, and you won't feel like wallowing quite as much. Plus, it's a great way to be proactive!